Extend Your Temporary Status In Canada

How you can extend your temporary status in Canada

The IRCC, Immigration & Refugees & Citizenship Canada, offers a variety of options to allow temporary residents to remain in Canada while they wait for a decision on permanent residence or temporary residence.

By way of example, maintained Status indicates that temporary residents applying for a temporary status can remain in Canada under the same conditions as their original permit until they receive a decision from IRCC.

Temporary resident applicants for permanent residence who face the expiration of their documents' validity might be eligible to receive a Bridging OWP (BOWP).

Some temporary residence permits can be extended, but certain programs, such as the Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP), are not renewable or extendable. However, this does not mean that these workers cannot be eligible to receive a different permit.

While it may be an option for some, it is not always desirable for students and workers in Canada to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. This visa does not allow them to study or work.

Work Permits

Canadian work permits can be divided into two categories: those that require a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment , or a neutral Labour Market Impact Analysis (LMIA), while those that are LMIA-exempt are exempt .

LMIAs are meant to show the Canadian government that there is a need for foreign workers to fill a vacant job.

Facilitated LMIA processing is offered by some work permit programs in order to address labor shortages.

LMIA exempt work permits are the most common for temporary foreign workers.

LMIA exempt work permits are designed to support Canadian interests.

LMIA-exempt includes open work permits which can be used anywhere in Canada for any employer.

Study Permit

If you are looking to improve your career prospects and your financial position, a student permit may be the right option.

First, you must be accepted to a Designated Learning Institution. Then, you can use your letter to apply for a Canadian Study Permit.

After you complete your program, you may become eligible to stay in Canada under the PGWP if you are a new international student.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

International student graduates may be able to stay in Canada with the Post-Graduation Permit (PGWP). This permit is open to all occupations and does not limit one person to an employer.

Students who have completed study programs lasting more than eight months, but less than two years, may be eligible to receive a PGWP of three years.

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Bridging Work Permit allows permanent residents to remain in Canada after their temporary status expires.

These immigration programs are eligible to receive a BOWP.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Classes
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Quebec Skilled Workers
  • Agri-Food Pilot Program

Foreign workers who are eligible for the CEC in September 2021 have not been able to apply for permanent residence. Depending on their circumstances, they may still be eligible to apply to for other work permits.

Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP)

Spousal sponsorship is possible if your spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or spouse.

Spouses and children of temporary residents may be eligible for an open work permit. A foreign worker must also meet one of the following conditions:

  • Working in a National Occupational Classification Skill Level of 0, A, B;
  • Working in any occupation when you are accepted to the Atlantic Immigration Program stream (AIP);
  • Working in any occupation that holds a nomination from the Province Nominee Program, or
  • Working in any occupation and possessing a Quebec Selection Certificate(CSQ).

The situation of the temporary foreign worker will determine which program-specific criteria must be met.

A spouse of an international student may be eligible for an open work permit. This is if they can prove to the government that they have a real relationship and that their spouse has been enrolled in a program that allows them to work.

Back Next