Getting Canadian Work Permit or Work Visa

Canadian work visa

Those who are qualified for a Canadian work permit or work visa, are granted permission to work in canada for a certain length of time.

Since Canada is one of the world's top economies, it is a perfect place for foreign workers to find employment, Those who qualify for a Canadian Work Permit Visa may come to the country and work as long as they meet the requirements. In most circumstances, a job offer is required in order to apply for a work visa.

The following are the types of work permits available

If you're looking for a job, there are various options available in Canada. The following are the most typical methods for obtaining a work visa in Canada:

Job offer to care for children or elderly

By receiving a job offer to care for elderly or children, as a home care support worker or a home child care provider, you may be eligible for a work visa to Canada provided you fulfill the education, language, and experience criteria.

Driven provincial programs available

By receiving a nomination in one of the several employer, employers in each of Canada's 10 provinces and 13 territories may recruit foreign employees under one of the employer-driven immigration streams. You may be eligible for an employer-specific work permit if you received a nomination from an employer-driven stream and applied under the appropriate stream.

Through a program of studies

While enrolled in a post-secondary school in Canada, you may work for up to 20 hours per week as long as the length of the program is at least six months long. Despite the lack of a work visa, you are permitted to work in Canada while you are enrolled in school.

Study program with Co-Op

The term "co-op" is used to describe an internship that is part of your education in Canada. You are authorized to work up to 40 hours per week throughout your Co-Op.

Post-Graduate Work permit

At the end of a study program, a post-graduation work permit is issued to students who have completed a post-secondary program of studies of at least eight months in length at a public institution, or who have graduated from a Bachelor, Master or Doctorate degree in either public or private post-secondary institutions in Canada.

As an accompanying spouse of a post-secondary student

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open/unrestricted work visa if they are enrolled in an approved post-secondary program of study for at least eight months, and you are accompanying them throughout this time.

Young professionals programs

With a work visa obtained by the Working Holiday visa, you may be eligible for a work visa to Canada if you have an agreement with a number of nations and organizations. For at least a year, a visitor with a working holiday visa may engage in any kind of employment, regardless of industry or location. The Young Professional visa is often tied to a Canadian employment and granted for a minimum of a year, however this is not always the case.

Being a citizen of one of the participating countries, being between 18 and 35 years old, having medical insurance for the duration of your trip, and passing a criminal and security check are only some of the additional criteria. Most European nations, Chile, Costa Rica, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, and Hong Kong are among the many countries taking part.

Free Trade Agreements

With a work visa obtained by international agreements, the Canadian government has agreements in place with a number of nations that enable certain experts and technicians to get a work visa. Countries participating include Mexico, USA, Colombia, Peru, Panama, South Korea and Australia, New Zealand and Brunei, Singapore, Japan and Malaysia.

Please keep in mind that the terms and conditions for each county and profession may be different.

Intra-Company transferees

Being transferred to a Canadian entity, an LMIA exempt, Intra-company transferee category may be available to you if you have worked for an organization that has a business connection with a Canadian entity and the Canadian corporation offers you a management or executive position.

French Mobility program

Do you have a job offer from a reputable Canadian company outside of Quebec? The LMIA exempt, French Mobility program category may allow you to get an employer-specific work visa.

By receiving a job offer via an approved LMIA

The LMIA is Labour Market Impact Assessment, which is provided by ESDC if it is satisfied that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident available to undertake the job, must be obtained by companies in Canada who desire to engage temporary foreign employees.

The foreign worker may apply for an employer-specific work permit from IRCC with the permission letter from the LMIA and the employment offer in hand. This work permit is typically good for up to two years.

Global Talent Stream program

By receiving a job offer in Technology occupations, a LMIA may be obtained via the Global Talent Stream program by Canadian firms looking to recruit temporary foreign employees in the tech industry or with specialized talents.

As part of the Global Talent stream, ESDC will negotiate with the firm on how it can contribute to the Canadian labor market in addition to the usual paperwork and forms that are required.

There are several advantages to the Global Talent stream application, including the fact that no evidence of recruiting is needed, and that applications are handled within 15 days.

The foreign worker may apply for a Canadian temporary work visa to IRCC with the LMIA approval letter and a job offer and acquire an employer-specific work permit, which is handled via a quicker / priority path, as well. With the Global Talent stream, most work permits are good for up to two years, however this varies per employment offer.

Eligibility for a Canadian Work Permit :

There are certain conditions you need to satisfy based on the kind of work permit you are requesting.

In addition to specialized qualifications, all candidates must fulfill the following basic standards:

You have a passport that is valid for 6 month or longer.

1 - have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.

2 - persuade an immigration official that you have links to your native country.

3 - persuade an immigration official that you will depart when your work permit expires;

4 - pass a medical exam, if applicable according to your country of residence or planned career;

5 - not intend to work for an employer labeled with the designation “ineligible”;

Do not intend to work in enterprises linked to striptease, exotic dancing, escort services or erotic treatments.

Back Next